Here we have the framing done, sheeting, roof complete and the windows going in. Hmmm, seems like we missed alot of steps from the last picture. Truth is I was so @$^$@^ peest off building this thing in the 90 degree heat... I was lucky I didn't bash the camera with a hammer... let alone complete the photo documentary of the construction... Needless to say, I eventually calmed down and here we go.

The windows went in pretty easily. Since I am pretty lazy and don't feel like taping the windows.. I painted around the frames first so that I could spray gun the rest of the paint on easily.
Goat Barn

We house the goats in an 8 X 12 barn we made from scratch. Details about its construction are below.
First step in building the goat house is selecting a site and putting down the foundation blocks and building the floor. I used a similar construction method as the chicken coop. All pressure treated wood framing, floor and roof boards. The siding is 1/2" T-111 plywood. The entire thing is built with galvanized screws... hardly a nail in it. This thing should last 200 years.


Here's a couple other angles. I original built the pen around the house out of 5 foot galvanized wire, with "pound in" steel posts from Cheapo Depot. It became evident that the goats like to scratch their backs on the fence and it would only be a matter of time before this fence collapsed. As such, I replaced all these posts with pressure treated 4 X 4 posts sunk in the ground 3 foot. I dug most of the post holes by hand... hit a rock everytime. Nothing more fun than pulling out a 30 pound steel digging bar to smash two inches... post hole digger... then the bar for two more inches.. .then the post hole digger... ah the joys of do it yourself fence construction. Eventually I gave up and hired some guy from craigslist to come over with a power auger.
In case you are wondering what those strange black objects are in the back... Well, nothing says "New Hampshire" like a big stack of junk tractor tires in your back yard! Also, the goats love to jump up and down on them all day. Great fun for goats I assure you.
Okay, finished the painting, added the snazzy eagle (snatched from the trash) above the window.. Note: had to replace the single bolt on the door with a double bolt as I was afraid the goats would bash the door down pounding on it with their hooves. I also put 5 hinges on it too... just to be safe. Also a view of the back. If you notice around the back doors... looks like some peeling paint.. Well here is a tip for you. Don't build your goat house doors out of OSB, the goats love to peel the slivers of wood off and eat them. At the rate they are going now.. they should have the doors entirely eaten in a couple months. I will replace it with solid wood boards eventually.
Oh did I mention the goats usually hang out UNDER the house. Fantastic! Glad I built this thing. Probably could have gotten away with a couple plywood planks propped up on some concrete blocks.......Actually come winter, they will be spending alot of time in there.
Inside the house we have quite a few amenities. Hay racks, homemade PVC pipe mineral feeder, water buckets, poop shovel, hay storage.... we got it all. Also got about 70 bales of spoiled hay for a buck each for bedding. As per NH state law regarding yard storage... I put them in a big stack with a tarp over them.
Sure enough, when the cold weather came, the goats got quite used to living inside.
November 2010 Update:

As the weather gets colder, we usually close one of the back doors on the goat barn in an attempt to keep the cold out. This year our Nubian buck, Fred, decided he didn't like that and ripped to door right off the hinges and bashed the panel into a two pieces. The lesson here is to build the goat barn with every aspect able to withstand direct attack from a 175 pound goat.... After building the barn originally along the same lines as a standard shed, I ended up reinforcing every single door and structure within, so if you are contemplating a goat barn... triple strengthen everything, these guys are very tough on it. Here is our barn door broken in half and hinges pulled out by Fred. I orginally had three light duty hinges on this, with a "hook and eye" closure on the inside. The door itself is made of half inch OSB, with 1" PT pine edging. I made both these doors with leftover scrap wood from another project. Net result = NOT SUFFICIENT
Because I am cheap, the repair was also made with scrap wood I had lying around. The inside of both doors was braced with multiple 2X4s, I spliced the door panel back together with a piece of 1X8 PT pine, and put a few more pieces on there to further stiffen up the door. I also put one extra heavy duty hinge on each door at approximately "goat ramming" height. I also replaced the hook and eye closure (which was ridiculously puny) with a pair of "old timey" brackets that hold a 2X4. This is something that Grizzly Adams would use to keep his cabin door closed... and this should work.
Anyway, as a test, I locked Fred inside and he hammered away at it for about 30 minutes until he gave up... so I can now officially declare... mission complete! Here is a video of Fred trying to bust it down in vain.
Site Map