March 2010

In late February we got absolutely pummeled with a week of rain followed by a powerful windstorm (70 mph
winds), that left 330,000 people without power in the state. The governor declared a state of emergency due to
the power outtages and flooding. Swampy Acres Farm took a similar beating. Our normally subdued marsh and
babbling brook became a lake and raging river! I posted a video of our new found "lake" as well as a some
comparison photos of the marsh.

On the other side of the farm, the water was bordering on the edge of the goat paddock, and in a few areas partially
submerged our 5 foot fence.
In addition to the flood, a 60 foot white pine tree (about 80 years old) was virtually ripped out by the roots and
came crashing down landing on our truck... just missing the electrical wires and house. Getting the wires ripped
off your house would basically mean no power for weeks..... as the repair crews would be spending all their time
on the main lines. Only after all of those were fixed would they have time to go to individual houses. Even so, we
still didn't have power for four days and had to rely on our 4 kilowatt generator and wood stove.
On the top you can see our old stone wall with the "normal" marsh in the background. On the bottom is the
same stone wall almost underwater. I estimate the water level rose 5 to 8 feet in just a few days!!
Since we had no power, I had to bring my spring chicks into the house to keep them from freezing out in
the hutch. I gathered them all up and put them in a rabbit cage and dragged them inside. See how much
they have grown in only a few weeks (see February update). So, we spent four days with a constant peeping
noise and the wonderful barnyard aromas. At least that gave us something to do to as we had no TV,
internet, and only limited electricity from the generator.
Also turning that pine tree into next years firewood gave my father and I something to do on the weekend!
Rather than sit at home on Friday, I decided to go to work.... but ended up in an enormous traffic jam as the
flood had washed out part of the new construction around I-93. I had to wait in line as workers brought up a
fleet of water trucks to carry away the water that was being pumped out from under the overpass.
However, at last a glimmer of hope. That same weekend I noticed the first of the daffodils were
poking through the frozen ground. Hopefully this is a good sign winter is almost over
Web Statistics